A Little Bit About Drury
Our town has a history that goes back to the early 1800s when it was the centre of three Maori Pas in the area, one at Red Hill, one at Maketu near Ramarama, and the other at Pukekohe East.
Drury got its name in 1855, from Commander Byron Drury, who surveyed the Manukau Harbour and found the arm of the harbour that leads up to Slippery Creek at Drury.
The first Church was built in Drury in 1856 and was one of the first of nineteen that Rev Norrie had built in his new parish which extended from Auckland to Ngaruawahia. In this Presbyterian Church, which stood opposite the present Primary school, the first school began in 1857.
Bishop Selwyn established four churches in the Papakura area one of which was in Drury which he dedicated in 1863, and it still stands in Norrie Road.
Drury became a garrison town in 1863 as soldiers camped here because of the Maori wars. The same year a pottery was started in Drury, and a horse drawn tramway that used wooden rails, and served a coalmine and the pottery is said to be the second oldest railway line in New Zealand.
The first Post Office was opened in 1857 and stood near the cheese factory that was established in 1939, in Norrie Road. This factory produced about 700 tons of cheese until it closed in 1973.
Today our town has three churches, two daycares, two schools, an extensive industrial area, a good range of shops, a number of places to eat out, several health care facilities, a good selection of sports and recreation opportunities.
There is a wide range of places to live, from a small two bedroom house on a small section in the middle of town, to a generous sized section complete with a glass house or two. You can even buy a farm at Drury.
Drury is a good place for the family!